Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Devil’s Game


I wrote this a few years ago when I was in Afghanistan with the Army. It was my favorite piece while I was there and just thought it would be appropriate for what we are facing now. The war gets pretty tiresome....

Fear stretches itself beyond the limits of truth
While the sounds of war rage,
Breaking the battle ground softly
The fire burns deeply

Soldiers die
Women hide
Children cry

Each country’s flag flies its pain
Collecting dust
Collecting rain

Salute anger with pride
Destroy innocence with lies

Beauty remains hidden
Underneath hell’s surface
Honor lends truth to struggling soldiers
Who fight to remain loyal

God listens patiently
As we pray for strength
The Devil fights to win
One more soldier down,
Checkmate in Bagram

1 comment:

Keri said...

I remember you before these days. I wish you never knew what it was like over there - away.